San Marino is a small, affluent city in Los Angeles County, California, United States. Incorporated in 1913, the City founders designed the community to be uniquely residential, with expansive properties surrounded by beautiful gardens, wide streets, and well maintained parkways. The city is located in the San Rafael Hills. The population was 13,147 at the 2010 census.
In 2010, Forbes Magazine ranked the city’s 91108 ZIP code as the 63rd most expensive area to live in the United States. Most homes were built between 1920 and 1950. The median list price of a single family home is US$1,987,500, as of July 2010.
The 2010 United States Census reported that San Marino had a population of 13,147. The population density was 3,483.4 people per square mile (1,345.0/km²). The racial makeup of San Marino was 5,434 (41.3%) White, 55 (0.4%) African American, 5 (0.0%) Native American, 7,039 (53.5%) Asian, 2 (0.0%) Pacific Islander, 198 (1.5%) from other races, and 414 (3.1%) from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 855 persons (6.5%).
There were 4,477 housing units at an average density of 1,186.2 per square mile (458.0/km²), of which 3,959 (91.4%) were owner-occupied, and 371 (8.6%) were occupied by renters. The homeowner vacancy rate was 0.5%; the rental vacancy rate was 6.5%. 11,834 people (90.0% of the population) lived in owner-occupied housing units and 1,232 people (9.4%) lived in rental housing units.
The city is divided into seven zones, based on minimum lot size. The smallest lot size is about 4,500 square feet (420 m2), with many averaging over 30,000 square feet (2,800 m2). Because of this and other factors, most of the homes in San Marino, built between 1920 and 1950, do not resemble the houses in surrounding Southern California neighborhoods (with the exception, perhaps, of neighboring portions of Pasadena). San Marino has also fostered a sense of historic preservation among its homeowners. With minor exceptions, the city’s strict design review and zoning laws have thus far prevented the development of large homes found elsewhere in Los Angeles. No apartment buildings or townhouses exist in the city.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 3.8 square miles (9.8 km2), virtually all land.
San Marino is highly restrictive of commercial operations in the city. It is one of the few cities that requires commercial vehicles to have permits to work within the city.
San Marino is the location of the renowned Huntington Library and gardens. In 1919 Henry Huntington provided limited access to the art collections, and to the rare books and historical documents, housed in the library and in his large Neoclassical–Palladian mansion, as well as to the surrounding botanical gardens, all collectively known as “The Huntington Library, Art Collections and Botanical Gardens”, or “The Huntington”, to the public. In the film, The Wedding Singer, the big wedding finale was filmed on the grassy mall at The Huntington Library & Gardens.
El Molino Viejo (“The Old Mill”), completed about 1816 as a grist mill for Mission San Gabriel Arcángel, is in San Marino. The original two-story structure measured 53 feet (16 m) by 26 feet (7.9 m). It is the oldest commercial building in Southern California. The town is located on the former lands of the historic Rancho Huerta de Cuati.
The Edwin Hubble House: From 1925 to 1953, this two story stucco home was the residence of one of America’s greatest 20th-century astronomers, Edwin Hubble, who, among other accomplishments, discovered extragalactic nebulae and their recession from each other. It is a National Historic Landmark.
The Michael White Adobe House, is located on the high school campus and houses the San Marino Historical Society archives.
The University of Southern California owns a house in San Marino which is used as the residence of the President of the University. The residence and grounds are often used for University Presidential events.
In the middle of San Marino lies Lacy Park, a huge 30-acre (120,000 m2) expanse of lush grass and trees, rare for urban areas. Originally named Wilson Lake in 1875, the land was purchased by the city in 1925 and dedicated as a park. Families in San Marino have enjoyed the park for years, and it remains one of San Marino’s best kept secrets. A picnic area is often the site of musical concerts, civic events and pancake breakfasts. Within the park are two walking loops: an inner loop of approximately 3/4 mile in length, and an outer loop of approximately 1-mile (1.6 km) in length. Dogs are welcome with their owners, providing they are on a leash. The park includes six championship tennis courts and a pro shop, administered by the San Marino Tennis Foundation. At the west entrance of the park is the Rose Arbor, which is of special significance for the people of San Marino. It is sixty years old and has long been a source of beauty and tranquility to many residents. In recent years the care and upkeep of the Rose Arbor itself has been augmented by private donations from dedicated residents who have chosen to sponsor individual posts. The park recently built a memorial to General George S. Patton (a native of San Marino) and also a large memorial to the Armed Forces along with a statue of a sad soldier. The memorial includes the names of all military personnel from San Marino.
San Marino High School was founded in 1955 after 50 years of utilizing South Pasadena High School in nearby South Pasadena. San Marino High School graduated its first class in 1956. The high school’s nickname, “The Titans,” comes from Mt. Titano, in the Republic of San Marino.
San Marino High School is situated on the former site of Carver Elementary School. In 1996, the high school reconstruction was begun and the school is now equipped with new laboratories, classrooms, and ethernet connections, supported mainly by bond issues and rigorous fund-raising by the San Marino Schools Endowment. The new buildings include a brand new cafeteria, orchestra and band room, dance studio, journalism lab, and renovated auditoriums, as well as a renovated baseball field and a brand new football field/track.
San Marino High School is part of the San Marino Unified School District. Its public funding is supplemented by private donations raised through the San Marino Schools Endowment Foundation. Each year, the Foundation raises funds necessary to balance the District’s budget. To date, the San Marino Schools Foundation has contributed $18,268,485 to our schools since their inception in March 1980.
As of the 2010 Academic Performance Index, API school reports, the San Marino Unified School District is the top performing school district in California.Its high school consistently ranks as one of the highest API scores among public high schools in California. Each of its public primary schools have been honored as a California Distinguished School and the United States National Blue Ribbon School.
There are four public schools in San Marino Unified School District:
- Valentine Elementary School,
- Carver Elementary School,
- Huntington Middle School
- San Marino High School.
Seven consecutive years, 2004, through 2010, the San Marino Unified School District ranked first among all 328 California unified school districts based on the California Academic Performance Index. San Marino High School is considered one of the best-performing public schools on Standardized Achievement Tests in Southern California. It was also named a National Blue Ribbon School in 2006. Some of San Marino’s schools’ funding comes from private donors and organizations.
In November 2007, San Marino High School was ranked 82nd on a list of the best high schools in the nation, according to U.S. News & World Report.
Credit Source: Wikipedia